Monday, May 31, 2010

Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday, May 28, 2010

Chill day today. I seem to be having a lot of those lately....

I woke up exorbitantly late (10:37 to be exact) and then headed out to Barbican (on the other side of the Circle line) to get tickets for a new, completely different adaptation of Peter Pan. I then came back to the flat, determined to get caught up on my life, which I did a mediocre job of doing. I had a bunch of days of blogging to do, which I did, but then I was lazy for the next three or four days and it's now Monday and I have to make up for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Anyway, Friday. I blogged, chilled, read the skips, cooked a super yummy lunch of stir fry, and went to the show with Scott, Annalee, and other theater friends of hers. The show was INCREDIBLE. Like I said, it was totally different than all previous concepts of Peter Pan. It was the touring company from Scotland, where the show originated. Therefore, it was all done in Scotish accents, with a lot of celtic culture thrown in the mix. It wasn't a musical, but it did have a lot of celtic music in it. The script was quite a bit deeper and darker than the original script. It made Peter into more than just the hero of the show; he had more emotion and gave the character much more depth and flaws, actually. Hook wore a kilt and also flew, since he Tinker Bell accidentally sprinkled him with fairy dust. Most of the lighting was fairly dark and there was actually a decent amount of violence.

I think the thing that made it work so well was that the actors were totally committed to their characters, the script, the setting, and their movement. They made it work so well. After the show, I commented to my friends that my doubt has never been suspended so quickly as it was in that show. Within seconds of it starting, I was completely sucked into the show and I believed it. I was truly living in a fairy tale world, but IT WASN'T FAIRY TALE!! It was real. Oh, those actors were so, so good. What a fabulous experience. It was the best theater.....I think I've ever seen.

Oh, one more really cool thing was that Tink was literally a ball of fire. Somehow they used pyrotechnics to have this ball float around in the air and dance all ove stage. And it never burned anything, even when they were holding her in their hands. So odd, yet so awesome. Fantastic show.

No comments: