Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday, May 24, 2010

Can I just say that I love this? Because I do, dangit! This is GREAT.

This morning, we went to another rehearsal of the BBC Singers. This time they were doing a piece that fit them much better than the other day. It was a 16 part piece by a Scottish composer named James McMillan. It was extremely dissonant and extremely beautiful. I wish I knew real terms to describe it. It was contemporary and dissonant and beautiful.

We had a Q&A session with the producer of the Singers, which was really informative and fun. I enoyed it quite a bit. The rest of the Singers came in after a while and they rehearsed a few more pieces. I really enjoyed the rehearsal far more than I did last week's because this time, the Singers used a much different timbre in their voices, which was actually conducive to the pieces they were singing. It was pleasantly refreshing and surprising. Loved it.

After the rehearsal, we ate lunch at the BBC cafe, there in the studio where they were rehearsing and then headed to the Science museum, which was a pretty fun, interactive museum. I've discovered that I learn by doing. Reading to learn, except for when it's about the gospel, is maily boring. I find myself not caring about much of what I read, unfortunately. But when I do it, it clicks and makes sense and I love it. Anyway, that's why I like interactive museums; because I can do in the learning and it makes it come alive to me.

After the science museum, Heidi and I went grocery shopping, brought our things back to the flats and headed off to a rehearsal by the London Philharmonic Choir. It was....mediocre. What I did love about it was that they invited us to sing with them. There is a surprising lack of singing on this study abroad and I really miss it. Every once in a while, I'll break out into song on the street and it just feels so good! Anyway, singing with the choir was just great fun, even if it wasn't great music or great singers around me.

After the rehearsal, Michelle, Scott, the two Roberts and I all went to a Dutch pancake house, where they have a 5 pound any pancake on Mondays deal. It was fantastic. I got a chicken curry with mango chutney pancake, followed by a cinnamon pear desert pancake. Yummy stuff.

Then back home to skyp with mom. It was SUPER good to talk to her. I've missed her. Love her tons. She's about the best mom anyone could ever hope for. I'm super grateful for her.

Off.

No comments: