Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sunday, May 9, 2010. London.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Sung Eucharist service at Westminster Abbey this morning was really quite extraordinary. I loved finding the parallels between their service and some of our most sacred services in our Church. I am constantly amazed at how many similarities there are between our Church and others, but I never find one single church that is similar to ours. It's just further proof that each of the other religions has so much truth, but none of them have a totality of the truth. I was deeply touched, however, by some of the things that were said at the service—even some of the set text that is a part of each service.

It's actually pretty interesting that I have had some really powerful spiritual experiences in going to other religions' services, especially Catholic services. There is a lot of reverence and silence that creates an atmosphere that is so conducive to the Spirit, which I fear eludes our own meetings. And I believe that if you attend others' services with an attitude of learning and appreciating and understanding, God can teach you what you will need to know simply by you being open. And while it may not all be true, there are, like I said, many truths that are taught in those services. In fact, in the program, which I don't currently have with me, there were a few phrases that had some deep, deep doctrine.

The choir at Westminster was fabulous. It was a boys choir, with boys singing the soprano and alto lines and men singing the tenor and bass lines. Although I do appreciate so much the fullness and grounding of women, there is something to be said about the boys' purity in their sound. They really can soar on those high notes and hit them so effortlessly. I was so impressed with their musicality and intonation at such a young age! Heavens, I have been singing for....who knows how long, and have not achieved that level of intonation. Quite impressive.

It's Mother's Day today. What a fabulous mother I have. I often think about all she did for me as I was growing up. She sacrificed so much for us and did so much to make us feel her love through the way she served us. And serves us! She has such a wonderful, good, tender and caring heart. I feel her love every day. I only hope she feels mine as well. I know at times she gets frustrated with how little time I have to talk on the phone, and I feel badly for it, but sometimes it really isn't possible for me to talk at that specific moment when she calls. Anyway, I am so grateful for her and her love. I am one lucky chap to have a mother such as her.

1 comment:

Laura said...

West Minster Abbey, has some of the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen. The building is BEAUTIFUL. What did the music sound like inside? Did it resonate amazingly? Were you in heaven?