Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Today was basically an “off” day, so we only had a bit of lecture, followed by a bit of rehearsal. We've been split up into small groups and we're going to join separate colleges for Evensong on Sunday in Oxford. My group is doing Palestrina's Exsultate Deo, which is a spritely Italian motet with some pretty tricky rhythms (I am the only tenor in the rehearsal). The notes themselves aren't terribly difficult, but I'm having to work quite a bit on my Caucasian Rhythm Disorder, which, I am happy to report, is coming along pretty well. Being in Singers this past year has been really good for me musically. I have become a much better reader, both for rhythms and notes. I still am not where I want to be, but I feel like I am making good progress.

After rehearsal, my friend, Annalee, who is on the theatre study abroad, and I went to see The Lion King. The show was quite the spectacle, and there were certainly some great moments, but I felt the production overall was fairly lackluster. I noticed I found my doubt suspended very few times, probably because the actors didn't fully believe what they were doing, and if a performer doesn't believe what he or she is doing, then of course an audience member won't believe it either. I really didn't like either of the Simbas. The younger Simba was pretty awkward and fairly....indicative—the way he acted was very “actory” and showy, as opposed to just “being” on stage. Sorry for all the quotes. The older Simba had a really whiny voice. If you're a hero in a show, you need to sound like a man and not a 14 year-old kid. There were other things that were really good in the show, but overall, I didn't find the ensemble or leads really believable or committed. However, Nala was the star of the show. She was absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, she totally stole the show. “Shadowland” was completely amazing. In fact, during that song, I had the thought that she would be an excellent Aida.

After the show, we came back to the flat and I went out on the town alone, which was pretty refreshing. I hadn't done it since I was in Paris and I really liked it. I love being able to make the calls without worrying about how they will affect other people. I realize that is really selfish of me, but sometimes I get grouped with other people who are really into being quite touristy and that is just about the last thing I am interested in. Yeah sure, I want to do and see all the tourist things, but I want to avoid looking like one at all costs. My proudest moment in Paris was when I was asked directions in French three or four times in one day.

I really enjoy London. Paris may have been more of a fairy tale land for me, but London seems a bit more homey to me. Perhaps it's the English thing. Don't know.

Tomorrow is The Sixteen, right on the same level as The Tallis Scholars. My world will once again be altered. I am really excited.

No comments: